If you are looking for a better way of organising and tracking your company spending, Tags offers a clear view of your expenses. By assigning an expense to a specific tag, you will be able to view and sort your expenses when running reports.
Here's how it works (only Pleo administrators and bookkeepers can set up tags):
- Go to Tags and hit Create tag group.
- From here you can create a list from scratch in Pleo and populate it either by writing the tags one by one in the cells of the list, by copying and pasting a list from a column in a spreadsheet or by importing columns from a spreadsheet.
- If you have set up an integration with Xero or e-conomic, you have the additional option of importing a list of tags from a tracking category (Xero) or the departments module (e-conomic), respectively.
Importing and re-importing from a spreadsheet
When importing from a spreadsheet (.csv or .xlsx) you get the option of mapping one or two columns to the tag label that your Pleo users will see. If you work with ID’s or codes and do not want these to be visible for your Pleo users on expense level, map a column to the Tag ID.
If you would like to update the now created list of tags you can either do it manually or by re-importing new tags from a spreadsheet. In that case we will then:
- Add new tags if they are added in the spreadsheet
- Archive the tags that has been removed from the spreadsheet compared to the tags in the tag group
- Edit a tag in Pleo if a tag consists of multiple columns and the tag is edited in one of the columns in the spreadsheet
When you re-import, make sure the columns in the spreadsheet are named as they were the first time you imported, and make sure there’s always a column with unique information in each cell, otherwise the re-import will fail.
Archive a tag groups
Hit the meatball menu on the tag group entry and from there archive it. Following this, be aware that:
- There's a max of three active tag groups, but unlimited archived tag groups
- Archived tag groups still show up on exports and integrations
- Active and archived show up in the export in the chronological order of creation
- Archived tag groups are hidden in the UI on expenses for all users including the admins
Delete a tag group
- Go to Expenses
- Click 'More filters' and select Tags from the dropdown menu
- Remove the tag on all associated expenses
- Go to Tags and delete the tag
When you download our generic .xlsx file (found through all the integrations we currently support), you’ll be able to see all expenses and their respective tags, allowing you to create better insights on spending patterns. If you have set up Xero or e-conomic and export directly into one of these accounting systems, Pleo will automatically match expenses to your Tracking categories or the Departments module in Xero or e-conomic, respectively.
You can also get a sense of tag costs by viewing the total sum of expenditures of any given tag in the Analytics page. Now you can benchmark between your tags and also get a handle on the impact of your budgeting.