If you are looking for a better way of organising and tracking your company spending, the Tags feature in Pleo might be what you are looking for. By assigning tags to expenses, you will be able to have an overview of your company's expenses.
Here's how it works (only Pleo administrators and bookkeepers can set up tags):
- Click on your profile image in the lower left hand corner and select Settings
- From the menu option, select Accounting -> Tags tab
- From here you can create a list from scratch in Pleo, or import a list from a spreadsheet by clicking the Import button.
- If you have set up an integration with Xero or e-conomic, you have the additional option of importing a list of tags from a tracking category (Xero) or the departments module (e-conomic), respectively.
Importing and re-importing from a spreadsheet
When importing from a spreadsheet (.csv or .xlsx), you get the option of mapping one or two columns to the Tag Label that your Pleo users will see. If you work with ID’s or codes and do not want these to be visible for your Pleo users on expense level, map a column to the Tag ID.
If you would like to update the now created list of tags, you can either do it manually in Pleo, or by re-importing new tags from a spreadsheet. In that case we will then:
- Add new tags if they are added in the spreadsheet
- Archive the tags that have been removed from the spreadsheet compared to the existing tags in the tag group.
- Edit a tag in Pleo if the spreadsheet contains any changes for one of the columns for a tag.
When you re-import, make sure the column names are the same as the ones in the Pleo tag group. Also, the columns should contain unique information in each row, otherwise the re-import will fail.
Archive a tag group
When you hover your mouse to one tag group, you will see a meatball menu. Click the menu and it will display an option to archive the tag group. Following this, be aware that:
- There's a maximum of three active tag groups, but unlimited archived tag groups.
- Archived tag groups still show up on exports and integrations.
- Active and archived tag groups show up in the export in the chronological order of creation.
- Archived tag groups are hidden in the UI on expenses for all users including the admins.
Delete a tag group
You can only delete a tag group if no expenses are assigned to it. If you are getting an error message 'The tag group is in use in one or more expenses and cannot be deleted.' please follow the steps below to remove the tag groups from the expenses.
- Go to Expenses
- Click the More filters button and under the Tag option, select the tag you wish to delete.
- Remove the tag assigned to the expenses by clicking each expense.
- Go to the Tags tab under the Settings -> Accounting menu and delete the tag group.
When you download our generic .xlsx file from the All tab under the Export menu, you’ll be able to see all expenses and their respective tags, allowing you to create better insights on spending patterns.
If you have set up Xero or e-conomic and export directly into one of these accounting systems, Pleo will automatically match expenses to your Tracking categories or the Departments module in Xero or e-conomic, respectively.
You can also get a sense of tag costs by viewing the total sum of expenditures of any given tag in the Analytics page. Now you can benchmark between your tags and also get a handle on the impact of your budgeting.